Meet Dr. Steven Appel, Philadelphia Orthodontist
Dr. Steven Appel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1952. He has been a practicing orthodontist in Philadelphia, PA since 1978. He graduated from Hofstra University, Temple Dental, and NYU Orthodontics. He was a Clinical Instructor in Preventive and Interceptive Orthodontics at University of Pennsylvania from 1978 - 1981. He taught future orthodontists the best ways to improve the smiles of children ages seven to ten.
He is a past President of the Temple Dental Alumni Association and currently serves on its Board of Directors. Dr. Appel is also a member of the American Association of Orthodontists and the Middle Atlantic Society of Orthodontists. He serves as an orthodontist consultant to the orthodontic industry, being asked his opinions on new products and services from orthodontic companies. Dr. Appel's orthodontist consulting work also puts him on the edge of the latest trends in braces and he passes this knowledge along to you!
Here are some fun facts about Dr. Appel:
- He skipped 3rd grade and 8th grade, so he graduated high school when he was only 16 years old.
- He graduated first in his class in high school - it was in size order - he was only 5 feet tall.
- He actually wore braces for nine years.
- He loves watching sports, especially horse racing and Temple University Basketball
- He currently lives in Bucks County with his wife, three dogs, three cats, and two talking parrots.
- He has two children: a daughter who is a music publicist and a son who is enrolled at Tuft's University School of Dental Medicine specializing in Orthodontics.
There's a New Dr. A!
Congratulations to Dr. Appel's son, Andrew who graduated Summa Cum Laude from Temple Dental School. He is now doing an Orthodontic Residency at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston. Hewill be joining us here at Appel Orthodontics in July 2013.