Are you ready to love your smile?
Did you know that Philadelphia orthodontist Steve Appel has been helping people love their smiles since 1978? Watch this short video to meet Dr. Appel and a few of our many smiling patients. Are you ready to love your smile?
Meet Our Staff
Each team member at Appel Orthodontics is a qualified healthcare professional. You will find all of them to be warm, caring, and knowledgeable. Many of our staff members are mothers themselves so they are particularly sensitive to the needs of children. Good communcation and understanding are keys to an excellent working relationship with our patients and parents. We have high expectations of ourselves both as individuals and as a team.
Meet Dr. Steven Appel, Philadelphia Orthodontist
Philadelphia orthodontist Dr. Steven Appel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1952. He has been a practicing orthodontist in Philadelphia, PA since 1978. He graduated from Hofstra University, Temple Dental, and NYU Orthodontics. He was a Clinical Instructor in Preventive and Interceptive Orthodontics at University of Pennsylvania from 1978 - 1981. He taught future orthodontists the best ways to improve the smiles of children ages seven to ten.
He is a past President of the Temple Dental Alumni Association and currently serves on its Board of Directors. Dr. Appel is also a member of the American Association of Orthodontists and the Middle Atlantic Society of Orthodontists. He serves as an orthodontist consultant to the orthodontic industry, being asked his opinions on new products and services from orthodontic companies. Dr. Appel's orthodontist consulting work also puts him on the edge of the latest trends in braces and he passes this knowledge along to you!
Here are some fun facts about Dr. Appel:
- He skipped 3rd grade and 8th grade, so he graduated high school when he was only 16 years old.
- He graduated first in his class in high school - it was in size order - he was only 5 feet tall.
- He actually wore braces for nine years.
- He loves watching sports, especially horse racing and Temple University Basketball
- He currently lives in Bucks County with his wife, three dogs, three cats, and two talking parrots.
- He has two children: a daughter who is a music publicist and a son, Andrew, who is also a doctor at Appel Orthodontics.
Meet Dr. Andrew Appel, Philadelphia Orthodontist
Philadelphia orthodontist Dr. Andrew Appel was born and raised in Philly, and as the son of Dr. Steve Appel he’s always been a familiar face here at the office. Dr. Andrew has wanted to be an orthodontist since he was 7 years old, and in July 2013 he officially joined our team.
He graduated summa cum laude from Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry and is a member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon, an honor society that recognizes excellence in dental school graduates. He has a certificate in orthodontics from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston and is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists.
Dr. Andrew had orthodontic work himself as a child, so he knows how it feels to sit in the chair. “I can understand the many emotions and attitudes that my patients might have toward their treatment,” he says. “Recognizing a patient’s feelings is what helps me partner with patients to achieve our goal of a creating a great new smile.”
Some fun facts about Dr. Andrew Appel:
- He enjoys traveling, bicycling, and hiking with friends.
- He has a cat named Oliver.
- He’s passionate about music and especially loves attending live concerts. His favorite band is the Dave Matthews Band, and he’s seen them in concert 84 times—and counting!